Remembering John Molluzzo

johnmollWe would like to take a moment to pay tribute to John Molluzzo, who sadly passed away on July 18, 2015. John was a big part of the Seidenberg School community, and was considered a colleague, friend, and mentor by both students and faculty.

After achieving his PhD in Mathematics in 1972 from Yeshiva University, John progressed into computing and joined Pace in 1985, quickly becoming a solid part of our team. His passion and talent for technology came through in his classes, and he taught many introductory classes as well as advanced ones.

Below are some messages from John’s friends at the Seidenberg School:

It is hard to say in words what we have lost with the passing of John Molluzzo. John was a trusted colleague and friend to all in the Seidenberg community. As chair of the IT department in NY from 1994 to 2013 he served as a helpful and supportive mentor. He was a dedicated teacher who worked continuously to update his courses. His leadership and counsel were often sought by colleagues facing a thorny problem. His colleagues will miss his quiet leadership and good natured presence. His students will miss a dedicated and caring teacher.

Dr. Cathy Dwyer

John was a great colleague, scholar, and teacher. He was always gentle, humble, and thoughtful. He has been my mentor since I joined Pace University 16 years ago, and my whole career at Pace as teacher was deeply influenced by him. I always felt blessed to have a colleague like him. Now I am deeply saddened. The loss is simply too big to take. John, my mentor and my colleague, you will be truly missed and will not be forgotten. My deepest condolences to Maria, Charles, and John and their families.    

Dr. Namchul Shin

What can I say about John? He and I were hired around the same time, in late 1984/early 1985. I started in January, 1985 and I believe that John started that fall. He was a “rock” – reliable, logical, strong. He was the person I went to for advice. He was a master teacher; I’m sure that every student who ever had him for a class remembered him, regardless of how long ago the class was.

He liked really bad horror movies-I remember being surprised to learn that he knew Plan 9 From Outer Space, a “grade B” horror film that in my house we joke about. He knew the movie, the plot, and all other types of trivia. He was a civil war buff. He knew the lyrics to obscure ’50’s rock and roll songs. And he was also a superb mathematician at heart who became a computer professional. I will miss him, his presence, his perspective and his counsel. I can’t really believe that he’s gone.

Dr. Constance Knapp

Our most heartfelt condolences go to John’s family.

Skip to toolbar